Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lesson 1: Aperture Basic Training

I was skimming through the lessons, and I realized I know more than I thought. I still plan to go through the lessons.

Lesson 1 was a lesson on aperture.

This pretty much sums up the lesson...



"The f/stop numbers refer to how open or closed the aperture on the lens is. The wider the opening of the lens, the greater the amount of light that enters your camera at one time – which means that when your aperture is wide open your focus will be shallower and fewer things in your photo will be in focus....


The smaller the opening on the lens, the smaller the amount of light that is allowed to enter your camera at one time – which means your focus is deeper and more of your photo will be in focus....


Basically, when you use a low f/stop, less of your photo will be in focus. When you use a higher f/stop, MORE of your photo will be in focus."

Weekly Challenge: Exploring Aperture

Turn the camera to AV mode (this allows you to control you f/stop, and it keeps everything else in auto).

Take a picture of a fixed object with the lowest f/stop.

Take a picture of the same object with an f/stop of 8.

Take a picture of the same object with an f/stop of 22.


f/stop = 1.8


f/stop = 8


f/stop = 22


I focused on the rock. Can you see the difference in focus?


Don't ask why I picked a rock on an upside down trash can. I had a screaming baby telling me to hurry. It was cold and rainy, but I wanted to get a picture outdoors. You'll find it's pretty hard to get a picture with an f/stop of 22 indoors. I also used a tripod because the higher the f/stop the slower the shutter speed. My last picture would have been blurry if I held it with my unsteady hands.

No comments: