Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lesson 3: The Color of Light

I don't feel like summarizing this lesson, so you'll have to read it on your own.

OR

just watch this video (you can skip the first 2 minutes).

And a summary of FontaKnowledge is...

"Auto white balance - bad.

Manual white balance - good.

Custom white balance - tip top, baby!"

I always try using manual white balance (like cloudy, tungsten, daylight, flash, ect.), but I FINALLY learned how to use my cameras custom white balance.

Here is a video how to set a custom wb on a Canon Rebel XSi.

This lesson's challenge was to take pictures with auto wb, tungsten wb, and custom wb. I even threw in a few bonus ones because I was using a window, tungsten, and a flash for lighting. It was also cloudy out. These are all SOOC (straight out of camera).



Auto White Balance



Tungsten



Custom White Balance



Flash



Sunny



Cloudy.



Fluorescent


Can you see the difference?

I'm really glad I finally learned how to do a custom wb.

Up next: FLASH... my frienemy.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Go ahead and consider yourself my photography teacher, lol. I am learning a lot from your lessons, even though I'm too lazy to "do them" myself!