Monday, January 18, 2010

Lesson 6: Shooting Indoors

Lesson 6: Shooting Indoors (.pdf)

This lesson was mainly about using available light without the flash indoors.

When taking pictures inside my house (especially in the winter), I almost always have to sacrifice my ISO, shutter speed, or depth of field (and sometimes all three).

When ISO gets sacrificed, the pictures get "noisy" and grainy.

When shutter speed is too low, there is often camera shake or motion blur.

I usually sacrifice my DOF first, but the smaller the DOF the harder it is to keep a mobile baby in focus. It's also hard to sacrifice your DOF when your lens doesn't let you! The Canon Rebel kit lens only goes down to f/3.5 when zoomed all the way out.

I love my 50mm f/1.8 because it gives me more flexibility indoors.

When shooting indoors you want to find and use as much natural light as you can. Open those windows!

Here I was trying to get a glow on my son's face by having him parallel to the window.
(He decided to get as close as possible.)
(ISO 1600, SS 1/80, f/2.2 in AV)

I was trying to catch catchlights in these next few.
(ISO 800, SS 1/125, f/2.2 in AV)

(ISO 800, SS 1/125, f/2.5 in AV)

(ISO 800, SS 1/100, f/2.5 in AV)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry, but all I see is a THOR shirt. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Unknown said...

What a great model you have! hehe

L said...

all the things you listed are my constant struggle everyday. lol i'm always sacrificing something...or even a couple things.